About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 1/4

This year, July 1 fell on a Sunday and July 4 a Wednesday. This meant the Fourth of July celebration at our church took place on July 1.

At the church service, the music was naturally a tribute to the birthday of our country. We sang patriotic songs, including the anthem. In the evening, we had fireworks at the lake on our other campus.

The fireworks were beautiful. But besides taking pictures, I was also missing my hometown. We have fireworks more than once a year over there, and I grew up watching the spectacular shows (the firework shows are bigger and longer, and there is always perfectly coordinated music in the background), especially during Chinese New Year.

This year, July 1 marked the 15th anniversary of Hong Kong's handover. I remember what happened fifteen years ago quite vividly - my late-night walk on the street on the eve of the handover, the many people on the streets, the handover ceremony, the change of flags. This year, there had also been more uncertainties in Hong Kong, which in a way, made me want to be there.

As I was watching the beautiful fireworks and clicking away with my camera, I was reminiscing about Hong Kong while celebrating the Fourth of July at the same time, if it were possible.

No comments: