About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Boston

I was on a research trip in Boston last month. It was my first time there and below were some of my observations: 
  • People there were more guarded, but still friendly when you made eye contact with and say hello to them.
  • The public transportation system there was decent and functional.
  • The entire week I was there, I saw only one speed limit sign: a 5mph sign at the bus terminal in a subway station.
  • I did not see one single speed limit sign in the town where I stayed. How did the drivers know how fast to go?
  • There were lots of Dunkin’ Donuts there. Lots. (As it turned out, the chain was established just outside of Boston, which explained it).
  • People there didn't bring their bags when grocery shopping (or when stopping by neighborhood stores like CVS); rather, they used plastic grocery bags.
  • Harvard just celebrated their 375th anniversary.
  • The Boston accent was not as commonplace as I expected. I only heard one person with the  accent (the security guard at one of the Harvard Libraries).
  • I loved to walk.
  • It was quite thrilling to be wearing long-sleeve shirts and a scarf in early June.
More to come. Stay tuned!

No comments: