About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

New Year's Resolution: Giving

Since it is still January, it is not too late to talk about new year's resolutions. :)

For as long as I could remember, I would make a list on New Year's Eve of things I would like to accomplish in the new year. For this year, however, instead of a list of things to accomplish, I have three goals for the year that are less things to do but more like life-long projects. The first one is giving.

A couple of years ago, I had a thought of giving something to someone every day. It could be things tangible or otherwise. Most of the time, I found myself giving the same thing - letting a car from the parking lot or the side road pull in front of me while I was driving. This was good, but it was certainly not the only way to give. Soon, the thought of giving became less and less prominent and I was less and less diligent about it. But last Christmas, as I was re-reading Matthew West's Give This Christmas Away, in which he gives 101 ideas of giving, I thought of extending this to a year-long project for 2011 and God confirmed the idea.

A few weeks into the year, I am happy to report that this has been a great start! Most of the things I have given are little things - time, friendships, little gifts, car rides, donations, and yes, occasionally, letting a car pull in front of me - but they have been giving me a lot of joy. There is nothing in me that can give any of these things, but I know it is God enabling me to pay more attention to others and He is guiding me in my giving. In the process, I find me thinking of myself less, which is a great benefit!

How about you? What can you give someone today?

No comments: