About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year

Happy New Year!

It has already been over a week since 2009 began, and I have been thinking about the new year.

During the last sermon of 2008, based on Philippians 3:13-14 from the Apostle Paul, our guest speaker reminded us that it was not another year that brought anything "new," but the condition of our heart. If we do not have Jesus in our heart, the new year would only mean the flipping of another calendar.

Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.
But one thing I do:
Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


Philippians 3: 13-14, NIV

The Message version is more straightforward -

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made.
But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong:
By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this,
but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus.
I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.


The year 2008 was a significant, rewarding and very memorable one for me in many ways. I even - warning: tennis reference - witnessed the greatest tennis match ever played during the Men's Wimbledon Final in July (on TV). There were also weddings, graduation and many precious babies. At the same time, I also know many who were (are) going through difficult times, and there was (is) plenty of suffering everywhere around the globe. I recently heard for the first time a song called He Will Carry Me by Mark Schultz. It is very comforting to know that whether we go through mountaintop or the valley, God is there. And as the Apostle Paul said, we are to put our eyes not on what is behind, but on Jesus, and run to Him.

In last Sunday's sermon, our other guest speaker talked about the end times and part of the Scripture he used was -

Remember the former things, those of long ago;
I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.
I make known the end from the beginning,
from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.


Isaiah 46: 9-10, NIV

What a great way to begin the year by being reminded that my God is the One who knows the end from the beginning, no matter what year it is. So take off, run towards Him and do not turn back!

No comments: