About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Monday, January 19, 2009

Being Lukewarm, Being Wholehearted

Thanks to some time off around Christmas, I had a chance to read a book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan, a California-based pastor. He challenges his readers not to be lukewarm Christians but be wholehearted followers of Jesus Christ, not because of what we "can" do for Him but because of who He is. God is the Creator of the vast universe, yet He cares about every single one of His created beings and loves each of us with the kind of unconditional love which Chan calls "crazy love." Chan encourages his audience to go back to the Bible and read it for themselves, to study Jesus's example and understand how to be wholehearted followers of Him who hold nothing back.

As I was turning the pages, I was challenged and convicted, because it reminded me how comfortable and self-centered I am as a Christian. God has given me so much more than I need, yet I am not giving as much as I should in His Name, not only in terms of finances, but also time and abilities. I think more about myself than I do others. Sadly, I am lukewarm at times.

As I was reading and processing what the book presented, Hanes came to me. She settled on my stomach and I patted her, but she left soon afterwards. She did that a couple of times.

Then it hit me.

I was reading about not being lukewarm, yet that was exactly what I was doing - doing what I wanted to do and paying halfhearted attention to a cat! I was only mindlessly patting her and barely acknowledging her presence - and she knew it. That was why she left. Lukewarm attention was worse than no attention at all.

Thankfully, Hanes came back. This time, even though I only had about ten more pages and it was not the time I wanted to put the book down, I put it down.

I welcomed her with both arms and I gave her my full attention. I looked her in the eye and she knew I was being sincere this time. She stayed - for a long while. Through her, God showed me what it was like to be lukewarm, and thankfully, what it was like to be wholehearted.

Later, I finished the last few pages, challenged to put what I read into practice, wholeheartedly.

1 comment:

CoachK said...

Thank you Snow for such a visual reminder of how we need to follow Christ. I so love you Hanes illustrations!