About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Sunday, November 2, 2008

From Empty Shoeboxes to Christmas Blessings......


I stumbled upon Operation Christmas Child - the "shoebox project" - about five or six years ago. I remember packing toys, school supplies and basic hygiene items in the empty, ordinary shoeboxes that year. Knowing that the shoeboxes would go to children who might have never received a gift in their young lives, and who had never heard the Good News and the true meaning of Christmas, made this project very special to me. Since that year, I have been packing shoeboxes every November. Some years, I did it only with hubby; some years, I had friends who came alongside the project. This year, several Sunday School and Bible study classes, and the missions committee at my church are supporting the project, and my neighbors and a local shoe store have donated dozens of empty shoeboxes!

I would like to invite you to participate too. If you have empty shoeboxes that you no longer need, you can easily turn them into Christmas blessings to children around the world. All you have to do is to fill the shoeboxes with toys, school supplies and hygiene items. You could also include a picture of your family and a letter before dropping off the shoeboxes to the collection centers around the nation during National Collection Week, November 17-24. Through these shoebox gifts, children will not only receive presents, they will also get to hear the Gospel and learn about the love of Jesus Christ.

If you are interested in participating in Operation Christmas Child, you can find more information online and also by watching the video below. Packing shoeboxes is easy and a fun family project that young children can participate. You are also welcome to make a monetary donation online to help offset shipping costs if you prefer to do so. If you have shoeboxes or filler items you would like to donate, please let me know and I would of course be more than happy to pack the boxes!

Blessings!

No comments: