About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

On the Verge of Sunrise

It was dark when I got up at 5.30 on Saturday morning. I needed to water the yard before playing tennis. I am in a very transitional phase right now, praying hard for God’s direction; and waiting has not been an easy lesson. Sometimes, not knowing what is next feels like being in the dark, like the surroundings to which I awoke.

Hanes, my sister-in-law’s cat, was surprised to see me. She promptly got down the dining chair where she had been sleeping, and came to me, thinking her beloved breakfast would come early without having to wake us! However, since it was well before her normal breakfast time, I decided not to feed her and disrupt her routine.

As I was getting the sprinklers going, eating breakfast and having my quiet time, Hanes was trying to figure out when I was going to feed her. She would come by to remind me she was ready to eat, then she would sit across the living room to wait it out. She also tried to distract herself with the ping pong balls or whatever she saw on the floor. When she could not wait any longer, she would come to me again to remind me; she even went upstairs to try to wake hubby.

The whole time Hanes was doing all these, I did not for one second forget about her, nor did I not remember what she had been asking. I knew where the food was and I was going to put it in her dish soon, a time that would be better than now. For her good.

How I am like the little cat. I think I know what I am asking, I think I see the “signs,” I think I can keep praying to God and be patient. No, sadly. I am as anxious about what is next as Hanes is about her wet food. Like Hanes, I have no question who my Provider is; but like Hanes, I am not the best in waiting, and “not yet” is not my favorite answer. Through the little cat, however, God gave me a great reminder of waiting for Him. If I, a temporary keeper of the little feline, do not forget to meet her needs, how much more does God, my Creator who knows me better than I can ever know myself, know what is best for me? I need more faith, and this faith can only come from Him.

I fed Hanes early anyway. As she enjoyed the breakfast for which she had been eagerly waiting, I looked out the window. The dawn was breaking. The sun was about to rise.

3 comments:

chanisgrace said...

i could see (and hear) this whole scene. i'm glad she could help you!

Anonymous said...

Here's what you can do: Write a book titled "God's Love: Lessons I Learned From My Cat". What a wonderful visual reminder that God's timing is perfect! I know He will show you where to go next - He brought you this far!

Snow said...

Hanes really has been a great teacher to me in her own unique way. :) Yea, she probably has taught me enough to write a book!

Yes, God is good and His timing is ALWAYS perfect.