About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Olympic Experience" (Part I)

The London Olympics might seem a while ago, but don't forget the Paralympic Games begin on August 29!

I was not watching much of the Closing Ceremony of the London Olympics because I was on my way back from my own "Olympic experience!" :)

I had a state-wide tennis tournament out of town that weekend.  The tournament was the end-of-the-season event for teams that lost in the playoffs earlier this summer. I was unable to at the playoffs because of my research trip to Boston, so I wanted to make sure I did my part for my team this time.

After the Boston trip, I actually could not play tennis for about three weeks (more on that in future postings). So when my doctor cleared me to play three weeks before the tournament, I decided to put in extra time to get myself in the best tennis shape possible and prepare for the tournament as best as I could. So I played more tennis and added extra practice sessions to work on some specifics. I also cut out all unhealthy food for two weeks. Even iced tea (what I usually drank other than water) got on the chopping board so I could avoid dehydration. Thankfully, by the time I packed and left town for the tournament, I felt more ready than I had expected.

One of the commercials during the Olympics was a group of (nameless and faceless) athletes narrating what they had given up to train for the Olympics (no desserts, no leisure reading, no TV etc.). While my training was no where near their rigor, strangely I understood what they meant.

So off I went to the biggest tournament of which I had been a part.

To be continued

No comments: