About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Porcelain Cup

I recieved a beautiful Christmas present from a faculty member in my Department today. She gave me a porcelain cup hand crafted by her husband who had been making pottery for many years. I was very delighted in receiving this present and certainly appreciated the thoughtfulness and kindness.

Since our Department is in the process of moving this week, I took home my Christmas present instead of leaving it in my current office. During the ten-minute walk to my car, I was holding the cup with both hands to make sure I would not accidentally drop it or break it. When I got to the car, I wrapped it with my scarf so it could be protected during its ride home.

The gift made it home safely.

Nonetheless, I was wondering about something. If I was so careful about a gift - beautiful as it was, but something that would not last for eternity - how much care do I give to the Greatest Gift of all that is invaluable? Especially during this Christmas season, it is a great time to ponder upon the wonderful and humble birth of Jesus Christ. However, I am not sure how much I have been thinking about it this year.

I have been going Christmas shopping, wrapping presents, visiting the post office, writing my newsletter, decorating and doing all kinds of things to get ready for Christmas Day...... But while I have been making preparations to welcome the special season, I find myself going around the Center doing these things more than preparing myself.

I was reading Luke 2 in the Bible and was reminded once again that Mary had to put Jesus in a manger because there was no room for Joseph, Mary and the newborn King.

During this Christmas season, I pray that I remember Who is more important and learn to be like Mary who chose to sit at the feet of Jesus rather than keeping busy with things that could wait. I also pray that I would treasure Jesus more than I do a beautiful porcelain cup, and always have room for Him in my heart.

1 comment:

CoachK said...

Thank you Snow for this very beautiful reminder.