About this Blog

This blog does not study little ice crystals. Snow is part of my Chinese name and this is a space to record God's faithfulness in me. Enjoy!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Premature Patience

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

James 1: 2-4, NIV

James’s exhortation was part of the Scripture I read one morning six weeks ago. A big part of my problem in the past weeks before that day had been not letting go completely to let God lead in the road ahead, career-wise. Thankfully, I received my MA in August but I had been unsure about whether to pursue a career in academe (PhD and beyond) or in other fields. I had my ideas, my desires, my timing, and thus, unfortunately, my worries. After the lessons I learned through Hanes a while back, I slowly came to my senses and decided it would be much better to be still and wait for Him. Stiff-necked I had been.

When I read the verse that morning, I was still unsure about what I should be doing. But I could not forget verse 4 which said “perseverance (patience) must finish its work.” Later on, I read Psalm 27 about “waiting in hope.” This hopeful, positive kind of waiting had been lacking in me. Undoubtedly, I was waiting, but I was “waiting in worry.” So God reminded me that I needed an attitude adjustment.

Shortly afterwards, I received my fourth reject letter (actually, email), but I was not dejected. Quite remarkably, I was perfectly fine with it. I was thinking about the verse all morning. I looked up various versions of James 1: 4 and found the Message translation very encouraging and uplifting -

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.

So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely” - had I not been doing just the opposite? I had been trying to get out of waiting. How foolish.

When the time matured and the waiting was through, God moved so swiftly that it could only be Him. Two days after reading this verse, I went to a job interview at the university. A few days later, I was offered the position to coordinate a graduate program. This position incorporated both my previous experience in administration and as a graduate student. I have been working for almost a month now and I enjoy my job very much (this new endeavor has kept me busy the past few weeks, thus the lack of posts recently :).

I am still praying to discern whether pursuing a PhD is God’s plan for me in the future. Yet, I know I am where I am supposed to be right now. I have peace and I will remember that I should not get out of anything prematurely, for patience must finish its work.

4 comments:

sheridan said...

I love how God patiently reminds us to wait on Him. Even when we are impatient.

Snow said...

Exactly!

CoachK said...

I loved the message version of the verse in James. This really spoke to my heart as I am in that place of waiting right now and have not be in rest but in worry. Thank you for this great reminder to let God do that work.

Snow said...

Dear CoachK, hang in there. Waiting is so hard, but there is an end to it. In due time, we will understand why we had to wait. I understand how you feel and I am praying for you.